Monday, October 01, 2007

Update on "The Did"

It's been a week since I gave birth to the latest addition to our family. Thank you Amy for posting the picture and announcement. This is the first time I've actually had two free hands to post.
Kate, or as my dad calls her, "The Did" as in Katydid, is awesome. She's already sleeping through most of the night, which is a little painful for a breastfeeding mom, but still lovely. I know her sleepiness won't last for too long, but I'll keep hopes high.
We had our one week visit from the midwife today. Linda came out to our house and checked on us. Kate is back up a little from her early weight loss. When she was born, she was 7/11 and had gotten down to 7/4. Today she was back up to 7/6. Yay!
Funny story: I found her umbilical cord stump in my bra today. Ew. I have NO idea how it got there, but I was doing laundry and looked down to see something poking through my shirt. When I first saw it, I thought it was a chunk of the granola bar I had just eaten and thought "wow, I'm fat" and then realized it was the dead hunk of tissue from my baby's belly. It must have fallen off while I was burping her and made it's way down my shirt. Anyway, it's off and she can have a real bath soon and not just the lame sponge bath I've been giving her.
I will leave you with this image. She is wrapped up in a blanket right now, with no clothes on (she shat on them) and her hairy back is slightly exposed. Oh how I love the fur.

12 comments:

Emily said...

Oh beebs! I love her so much - her furry back and all! :) I'm glad to hear her cord finally is off - it was literally hanging by a thread yesterday!

Give all your babes kisses for me!

froelica said...

Alas, there will be no furry Kate snuggles for me for a while. I managed to pick up a MEAN cold on our last day in Paris. On a related note, did you know that travelling across the world with a horrible cold makes you want to just curl up and die? Cause, until yesterday, I was completely unaware. *whine whine whine, bitch bitch bitch*

Emily said...

Oh poor Ashley.... I'm so sorry - what an awful way to end a wonderful trip. I'm glad you guys are home safe though! You will have to see baby Kate as soon as you are well - she is so good!

Amy said...

Thanks for starting my day with a little dry heaving at my desk. I was unsteady at the hidden bra treasure but I nearly lost it at "hunk of dead flesh". Way to go.

I remember when Eloise was just born and she barfed down into my shirt, I nearly spewed back at her. I understand this is par for the course for all you moms out there, but for us aunts it is revolting.

Oh, and welcome back to the land of unaffordable health care Ashley! Life's a bitch sometimes, but we're glad your back. :)

kara said...

Yeah, um...I ask for tales of motherhood and you come up with the grossest thing you can think of?

That's my girl.

froelica said...

Amy- $198 a month for a relatively healthy 23 year old nonsmoker. What a country!

froelica said...

Oh and thanks for the sympathy guys! It has healing powers of its own.

Emily said...

Oh I totally win on the sickest kid crap... so I was pregnant with Charlotte - probably about 2 months along or so (needless to be said I was very sick all the time) and Jon and I had just had Taco Bell... we were laying in bed with Molly and I was lifting her (like a moron) over my head - she of course barfed directly into my mouth... I then proceeded to barf into the sink (couldn't even make it to the toilet) - it was so much that Jon had to use drano to get it down... it was awful and the most disgusting thing ever - I always feel like it's a good idea to make othes feel as grossed out as I did that day - I hope it worked even a little....

Susie Q said...

God Sarah, I'm reading your post and you said, "When I first saw it, (the stump), I thought it was a chunk of the granola bar I had just eaten..." ((Shiver)), I honestly thought you were going to say, "so I popped it in my mouth..." Yeah I know,((Urp))
Of course there was the time I grabbed a cart at the grocery store and the handle was sticky, SO I LICKED MY STICKY HAND!!!!
Can you say EBOLA?

Haley said...

So that reminded me of the sex and the city episode (which im sure you dont know..) but mirandas babies cord fell off and rolled onto the ground, where her cat then plays with it, poping it in and out of his mouth. cute huh? ha! anyway...

I MISS KATE!!!! SUNDAY CANT COME SOONER! I AM TOTALLY COMING TO THE BEERFEST...

froelica said...

Beerfest?!?!? I'm in. Methinks James is working though...

Emily said...

Sucks to be James....