Thursday, August 02, 2007

Body World



Wow. What an experience. If you haven't already been to OMSI for the Bodyworld exhibit, go. Go now. It was amazing, to say the least.


There were a few things that stood out for me. One was the very first piece in the exhibit, the skin man. He was a regular looking guy, about 5'9" maybe. The wierd thing was that instead of wearing his skin, he was holding it. In his hands. It looked like a skin blanket and all I could think of was that scene in Silence of the Lambs, where Buffalo Bill is wearing the skin suit from his victims.


Another thing that pretty much freaked me out was the dude who was doing the splits, in all his naked (skinless) glory and was holding his own internal organs like a trophy above his head. Hmmm, interesting.


I think the wierdest display was the one of the central nervous system. There's no way to accurately describe it, so I found a picture. It's not a very good one, but I promise, it was really cool.


There was one more thing that really stood out. They had a glass box with two sets of lungs, one of a nonsmoker and one of a smoker. It showed that only 20 cigarettes a day (sounds like a lot to a nonsmoker, but that's just a pack a day) made these lungs almost completely black. The healthy ones were more of a creamy color. Right next to the display, there was a box where you could commit to quit smoking. It was almost full with business card size notes saying things like, "I will never smoke again, Dan" or "I will never try!-Jenny". There were also more than ten or so packs of cigarettes in there with the notes. Pretty moving, I thought.


At the end of the visit, we made our way to the fetal development exhibit, which is part of the regular everyday museum, but is amazing nonetheless. Turns out, it was done by the same guy who did the bodyworld stuff. It was really cool to see a 31 week old baby, which is how far along I am right now and how far along Emily was when she delivered Molly. What a miracle, no one's going to argue with me that God had nothing to do with all of that!


Anyway, if you have a free day and $21 bucks, it's totally worth the money and time, but don't bring kids. I'm glad I didn't. I can just imagine the questions they would have for the rest of their lives about what they would have seen.

7 comments:

froelica said...

If you can't have fun traumatizing your kids, why have them???

Nicole said...

Darn....that exhibit was just here in Phoenix about 2 months ago or so and the first night it opened, I had free tickets to go but didn't give it a second thought. One of those perks for working at Chase....we sponsor everything! Then when I realized I never went, it was the last night...couldn't get a babysitter, work night, etc. Wonder if they will ever come back...?? Hmmm...

Susie Q said...

Okay, Sarah is so right. It was well worth the money. Trully amazing stuff, but the surprise was the emotions it produced. I was awed and moved to tears.
I was so touched by the bravery of the people who chose to give themselves to us for study and I was in complete wonder at what God has made. Anyone who sees this exibit and tries, (try, I dare you) to discount God's hand in us is a fool. Really!
The fetus display ALWAYS gets me, to see those precious children at each stage of development is a miracle. Every single time.
Ahhh...

Susie Q said...

By the way Knoskers, awesome blog, righteous pics, excellent job!

Mac said...

I din't want to go because I thought it would freak me out. It probably would have although it sounds like it was done very sensitively.
Sounds cooler than I thought it would have been.

kara said...

We have plans to go on Sunday. I totally thought it was just coffins with the lids up, but I see from your pictures that I'm totally wrong. Thanks for RUINING it for me.

*sob*
(dramatic exit)

Emily said...

Sarah I completely agree - it was amazing. I can't stop thinking about it - everywhere I look I see people unskinned - not in a creepy murderous way - but in a new found respect for the body.
I think the one that got ME the most was the one of the sliced obese torso - it showed how the fat completely squished the organs - it made me want to change the way I have been living. The whole thing was emotional, disturbing, wonderful, confusing and aweing all at the same time.