Monday, April 16, 2007

Educational Programming


For any of you who have children, you probably know what I'm talking about when I say that there is nothing good left for kids to watch. I'm not particularly worried about it being appropriate for them, I let my kids watch Nacho Libre, Napoleon Dynamite, Wayne's World and School of Rock over and over again. What I am worried about is the subliminal messages coming from the shows on OPB. You know, the ones they are supposed to be watching? For example, there's a show called "Big Big World" on at 10am (I think). It's a freakshow I tell you. The main character is a sloth named Snook with the voice of someone who sounds suspiciously like Keanu Reeves. He sounds high and talks about how slowly he moves throughout the whole show. Then there's an egomaniac bird named Birdette (yes, very original) who constantly talks about how beautiful she is. Ugh, and I thought Barney was evil.

The only show left with any worth is "Jakers". If you haven't seen it yet, make a date some weekday morning to watch it. It cracks me up. It's about a bunch of little kids who happen to be a bull, a duck and a pig. Yeah, that's a likely grouping. Anyway, they all happen to be Scottish too. Hilarious.

On a completely unrelated note, Lauren is pretty sure she's been part of a major crime scene investigation. She keeps telling Hayden about the "cops" at Nordstrom Rack. We were shoe shopping during Hayden's class today. As we were getting into the car we saw about 5 or 6 police cars pull up with their lights on and a bunch of German Shepherd wielding cops jumped out. It was pretty obvious that some serious crap was going down. I assured her that they had it under control, but she wanted me to "speed away" as she put it. So I did. It wasn't like there were any cops available to pull me over anyway. She got a kick out of it.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Snook is demented. Maggie had that on the other day and it is 3 obnoxious kids shy of being Barney.

On a different note, according to the baby tracker things online your child's ears are now in their rightful place. Haley can breath easier now, knowing that they are no longer 'on the move'.

Susie Q said...

Yeah, the kids TV shows of today are seriously whack, nothing like the wonderful programming available to you guys when you were little. You know like, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", (good grief) and "Care Bears" (good Lord!) and "Rainbow Bright", nuf said...

Amy said...

Don't forget...
Snorks - a personal favorite
Fraggle Rock - looking I think they were high
M.A.S.K. - don't remember it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.A.S.K.

And, because I am such a nerd I really liked Cap'n O.G. Readmore, host of weekend specials on ABC. As his name implies He encouraged kids to read more.

froelica said...

My all-time faves:

Duck Tales
Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I still own some on VHS)