Thursday, November 09, 2006

Stupid Judicial System


So here's what my week was like. I know it's only Thursday, but I feel like it's been longer. I had jury duty. I had to call and report on Monday after 4pm. They said to come at 8am on Tuesday to report for duty. I did. They made me sit around all morning. Everyone but me was called for some reason or another. I was left holding my stupid profile in my hands. I thought I was in the clear. Nope! The bailiff came back in and called a whole bunch more names. I was one of them. At this point it's 11:20 am. She says that we have to leave the courthouse and come back at 1:30. So I go home and eat some lunch and do some laundry. When I get back to the courthouse, they are not ready for us, which I have learned is the way our court system works. One hour = 2 hours and so on. They call us in to the jury room at 2:30. Now there were 30 people in a room no bigger than my living room. It's hot and stuffy and they lock us in. Yep, locked the freakin' door behind them and leave us in there. 45 minutes later they come back in (when I say "they" I mean the bailiffs) and bring us into the courtroom. We each have been assigned a seat. I am in the front row of the jury panel, there are 12 of us up there and the rest are sitting in benches. They start asking us all sorts of wierd questions. After 2 more hours, they have chosen their jury. I am on it. Yay!
So, they have us come in Wednesday for trial. At this point, I'm kind of excited. I get to sit in on a real criminal case ( I won't get into the details for fear of the poleese comin' to get me). We get there at 9 am and start the trial. I get to hear testimony from several witnesses and see some horrifying photos. At 4:40, the judge lets us go home.
I show up today for the day at 9 am and the bailiff is there to tell us that we have to wait in the jury room until 10. We do. At 10:30, she and the judge come in to tell us there was a mistrial. They sent us home. DAMNIT! I don't even get to hear the defense side of the story! We never got to deliberate and I'll never know the outcome. I'm so bummed! Anyway, that's my week. Sucks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw man, everybody gets to do jury duty. I wanna... I doubt they'd keep me though. I think I might be too opinionated and angry.

froelica said...

I want to do my civic duty too. I guess they don't like me :(

I know people who have been called to do jury duty half a dozen times. And then there's shmucks like me.

At least you got to see some nasty ass photos. I mean...if you're into that kinda thing... which I'm not...STOP ACCUSING ME!!

kara said...

I fear Jury Duty. I'm afraid I won't be able to decide if they're guilty or innocent. You know me and responsibility...we just don't work. That being said, I really want a sandwich.

Emily said...

I'm sorry you had a few days from hell with no outcome - but I had fun with your kids while you were gone... :)

froelica said...

God I wish there were more vegetarian-friendly sandwiches.

And what's all this I hear about EVERYONE being gone for Thanksgiving? What gives??? And who's thankful for it?!?!?
Obviously not you guys.